Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The latest gun model for NextGen Reality is the classic M1 Garand. One of the most famous guns of WWII. I had done a low poly version of this one a while back that never got used so I started with that model and then built on to it from there.

Had all kinds of trouble with the normals on this though. Took me more then a week to find away around the issue. Never did figure out what the problem was but just had to find a work around.

Basically the normals were all flipped in odd ways. Each one had one color channel that was displaying wrong. Normally you can fix this easily by flipping the offending color channel in Photoshop, but for some reason that had no effect on the model. I would flip the channel in PS and then it should update the new normals in max but no change could ever be seen. If I flipped the normals in max they would work fine but I need it so I don't have to flip them in the shader. It was a big mess that doesn't make any sense.

Needless to say I had to convert the normal map to a bump map since nothing I tried would get the normals to display right. The bump map worked pretty goof though. Almost can't tell its just a bump, although I did blow them way out in these renders. The final result won't be nearly as bumpy.







The Sharps 1874 45/50 cal rifle. This rifle is largely considered the gun that won the west. It was one first high powered long distance rifles, and some consider it the first sniper rifle even though it was mainly used to kill buffalo at long range.
This was a pretty fun model to do and not very hard either. As far as guns go, the general shapes on this one are a lot easier.







No comments:

Post a Comment